Friday, March 30, 2012

Butterfly March Tag.......

I had so much fun with Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2012 March Challenge.  The mosaic butterflies were so much fun.  Tim used embossing powder around his "tiles", but I used glitter in orange and black. I am definitely going to do some more with embossing powder when I am able to purchase his cement powder. Here are some steps that I took to complete my tag:

I made a standard #8 size tag from 120# watercolor paper.  Then using Distress Ink pads in Pumice Stone & Black Soot, colored the tag.  I spritzed with water and let dry. I used the Tattered Floral and Leaves die to cut 3 leaves and 5 of the small flowers from 65# card stock. I used Distress Ink pads in Peeled Paint, Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade to color the leaves and flowers. Buttons for the center and I used the string from the small shipping tag for the center of the top flower.  I colored the string with Spiced Marmalade, then separated the strings.  When you roll the string on the ink pad, when you separate it resembles the baker's twine.  I call this faux twine, anyway..... The small shipping tag was inked with Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade and Black Soot.  The saying was stamped with Black Soot.

Now on to the butterflies......

I choose two butterflies chipboard pre-cut images (I do not own the Tim Holtz Butterfly die yet).  Paint the edges of the butterflies and the top outside edges, I used black. Then I covered the butterflies with heavy duty double stick tape.  I use Pennywise Arts O'So Sticky Tape.  I find for this type of work it is the best, glitter, micro beads and embossing powders. This is harder than it looks, non-stick scissors are the key here.  Then I cut small shapes from some scrap Tim Holtz papers and placed them down mosaic style.  Make sure you leave space between the papers for your "grout".  Now sprinkle with glitter or embossing powder. If using embossing powder, heat set it.  When using glitter, just press the glitter into the tape.  Now brush off the excess.  Then cover each individual piece of paper with Ranger Glossy Accents.  This lets the "tiles" glisten like real ceramic tiles.

Now once all has dried, put your tag together.



While I was making the flowers for the tag, I made this little flower too.  It is the medium flower from the Tattered Floral die. Just ink, scrunch, flatten, push hole through center of 5 petals and insert brad. Now smash all petals, individually, up around brad.  I really smash, then I fluff them out. And voila...............

I hoped you have enjoyed this month's tag.  As always, if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them if I can.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Winnie said...

lovely tag. Love your butterflies and the great flowers....